Buying on Gumtree is pretty straightforward.
- Navigate to https://www.gumtree.com.au/
- Start searching for things to buy right away. Just enter the item you’re looking for, specify your location, adjust the search radius, if needed, and click on the green button with a magnifying glass on it
Things to remember
Make sure you have specified the locations that are nearest to you. You can expand or reduce the radius for the search.
Gumtree has various categories to arrange all the ads. Remember to check that you’re searching for an item in the correct category. For example, chairs could be found in ‘Home and Garden’ -> ‘Furniture’ category, while, say, a microwave would be in ‘Home and Garden’ -> ‘Appliances.’
The top several listings that will be displayed are actually sponsored ads, which means the items are sold by a company and not an individual. Items sold via these ads are usually new or refurbished. These ads could be differentiated from ads posted by individuals by 2 things:
- They are listed under ‘Sponsored links’ and ‘Top Ads’
- Sponsored links usually have links to the company’s website, while top ads will have words like ‘brand new’ in the name of the listing.
If you’re not on the market for brand new goods, you can safely ignore these ads and scroll down to the ‘Most recent’ ads, that’s where the ads from individuals will be posted.
- Once you see a listing for an item that meets your requirements. Click on the listing to navigate to a more detailed description of the item. Here you will usually see the following:
- Name of the item
- One or several pictures of the item
- Name of a person who’s selling it (all Gumtree users are called Gummies)
- How long the seller has been using Gumtree, as well as when he logged in last
- Item description
- From here you have an option to send a message to the seller by selecting the ‘Send message' button. If you have any questions about the item, this is a good way to make sure that it’s in the suitable condition, ask for pick up directions and clarify the payment options. To send a message just enter it in the window that will appear when you click on the ‘Send message’ button, enter your name and email address, if required. You can choose to have a copy of the message sent to your email for ease of communications. Otherwise you will only be able to check the seller’s response to your message by logging back into the Gumtree website again.
- Another way to contact the seller is by phone. Click on the ‘Show number’ link, enter the captcha, if needed, and you will be able to see the full phone number to call or send an SMS.
- If the listing already covers everything and you are happy with what you see, you can choose to make an offer right away. Enter the price you would like to pay for the item in the ‘Make an offer’ field and press ‘Go’. If the seller accepts your offer, you’ll be notified via a message.