To use this service, like with most online services, you will need to create an account first.
Please note that you will need an email address in order to continue.
If you don’t have an email address, you can create one following our email guide before proceeding with this one.
- Navigate to https://my.gov.au
- On the front page click ‘Create an account’ button
- Enter your email address. It will be used to verify the account, so make sure that you have immediate access to it. You will receive a verification code to the email address in the next few minutes.
- Confirm your email address by entering the code you received on the next page.
- Next step is optional. You can enter your phone number to increase the security of your account here.
Every time you access your myGov account you will be asked to enter your verification code sent to your email or your phone number, if you chose to enter it.
- Create your account password following the guidelines from our password guide and click ‘Next’
- On this page you will be asked to create security questions. The answers to these questions will be used to verify that it is indeed you trying to access the account later on. Make sure that the questions you picked don’t leave room for ambiguous answers, spelling variations and so on.
Pick the question by clicking on it and enter your answer in the ‘Answer’ field below all the questions and click ‘Next’. Repeat the process with 2 more questions.
Please note that you can also write your own question, if the ones offered don’t quite fit.
- After you have picked your security questions, you will see 2 usernames. One will consist of numbers and letters, while the other one will be the email address you have used to create the account. You can use either one. You will also receive an email from myGov with those usernames.