This guide will show you how to link your existing email to the default application on your smartphone or tablet.
What do I need to follow this guide?
A mobile or tablet device connected to the internet.
An email address.
Default email applications on Apple and Android Devices
Did you know that you can link your email to the pre installed email application on your device?
It’s one of the easiest ways to access your email inbox, without having to login through your web browser. It is a safe and secure connection through your personal device, which gives you quick access to your emails, notifies you when you get a new email and automatically syncs to your digital calendar.
To connect your email inbox to the pre loaded email app you will need to follow these steps.
For Apple devices
- Click on settings
- Select the ‘Mail, Contacts, Calendar’ option
- Under the ‘Accounts’ option click ‘Add Account’
- Here you will be given a few provider options, such as Gmail, Yahoo, Exchange etc. These are used to configure your email settings. Select your email account provider or if you are with another provider select ‘Other’.
- You will need to enter your email address and your password.
Your email inbox is now connected to the mail application on your device. To view your inbox simply click on the mail app and your inbox will appear. Follow the steps above to add multiple email accounts.
For Android devices
- Click on settings
- Scroll down to the ‘Accounts’ option and click ‘Add Account’
- Select the type of account you would like to create. For the purpose of this learning guide choose ‘Email’ or if you have a Gmail account select ‘Gmail’.
Corporate: is used for work email accounts, which usually run on an Exchange server.
Email: is used for personal email accounts such as Outlook, Yahoo, Mail.com etc
Google: this option is specifically for Gmail accounts
- Enter your full email address and password and click ‘Next’
- The next step asks you to setup your email inbox. You can leave the settings as they are or you can change the options to suit your needs. Click ‘next’ once you are happy with the settings.
- For people with more than one emaill address, you can give your email inbox a nickname to easily identify which email account it is.
Your account has now been activated and is ready to use via the android email application.
Follow the steps above to add multiple email accounts.
Other things to think about
Remember you should always keep a passcode on your devices for added security. In the event your device is lost or stolen you can sign out of your device by logging into your email account via a web browser and signing out of all third party devices.
Connecting your email to the application on your devices allows you to access your emails quickly and easily. It’s a great way to make use of the email application pre-loaded on your Apple or Android device.