What do you need to follow this guide?
A laptop, desktop, tablet or mobile device that is connected to the internet.
What is a search engine?
A search engine is a website that helps you find information or other websites on the internet.
A search can come up with thousands of results, with the most popular or relevant websites closer to the top of the list.
To get a better search result, you can add more keywords or try out different keywords.
Keywords are important. For example, using the keywords ‘pet stores Fremantle’ will help you find a pet store in Fremantle. If you use 'pet stores' you will probably get results from pet stores all over the world.
Which search engine should I use?
The most popular search engine is Google. It has a simple search box on a white background. It also has sections where you can search specifically for images, news or videos.
Other popular search engines are Ask.com, Bing and Yahoo!
How to search using Google
- Open your browser and go to www.google.com.au.
- There will be a search box on the page. Type in what you are searching for, then hit the “Enter” key or click on the “Google Search” button.
- Google will look for websites containing the keywords you searched for and bring up a list of search results for you. The most relevant results will be at the top.
- If you see the information or website you’re after, click on it and you will be taken to that site.
- If you don’t see the results you want, trying searching again using slightly different keywords.
Most other search engines work the same way.
4 tips for using a search engine
- Make your keywords as relevant as possible to what you’re searching for
- Use two or more keywords in your search
- Make sure you spell the keywords correctly
- If you don’t find what you’re looking for, try using different keywords or using a different search engine.
Search engines give you easy access to a whole world of information. By using a search engine, you will always be able to find the answers you need.