What do I need to follow this guide?
A mobile device connected to the internet.
Getting started with email
We’ve chosen Gmail because it is one of the most popular free email services and has great online help. There are also plenty of others you can get for free including Outlook, provided by Microsoft.
Creating and using an email account is one of the essentials of utilising the internet. An email account is a unique to you and you only, like a mobile phone number. If people know your email address they’ll be able to contact you.
Email accounts also include online data storage, which you can use to store important files and documents.
Setting up an email address will also enable you to sign up for other types of services online that require an email address – like social media and online shopping.
Setting up your own email account
- Open up your browser and type www.google.com in the navigation bar
- The Google home page will load. Click on the link to Gmail. It is usually in the top right hand corner.
- This will take you to the Gmail sign in page.
- Click below the sign in area on the link that says ‘Create an account’
- Choose your username. Sometimes your first selected username will be taken by someone else. Gmail will make suggestions if this is the case but you do not have to choose what they suggest. Getting the username of your choice might take a couple of tries, depending on the type of name you would like. Email addresses that use common names will be more popular and hence will be more difficult to secure. Once you have finalised your name, write it down so you have a record of it.
- Create a secure and memorable password. You’ll have to type in your password twice to make sure it matches.
- You’ll then be asked to fill out a captcha form. This is a security measure to make sure you’re human. Type out the letters and symbols as they appear on screen to continue. If you can’t work out the captcha image, you can swap it for another by clicking the arrows. You can also have it read out by clicking the speaker so you can hear it and type what it says in the captcha text box.
- Once you have completed all areas of this form, click next step.
- You will be asked to add a photo to your Gmail profile. If you would like to add a photo of yourself, you can upload it now. Once you have decided on your photo, click next. If you don’t want a photo on your account, click next without uploading a photo.
- You have now set up your account! You can go to your inbox and start emailing!
Having an email address is a handy way to keep in contact with friends and family. It is also essential to creating social media accounts online and managing banking online.